Staff Advisory Council
March 23, 2010
Attendees: Amanda Bell, Greg Bohach, Karen Brasher, Barbara
Curry, Keith Daniels, Sherry Fisackerly, Deborah Huffman, Marie
Jeffries, Dinah Jenkins, Linda Jenkins, Lisa Noffsinger, Linda
- Dr. Bohach welcomed the Division of Agriculture, Forestry and
Veterinary Medicine (DAFVM) members of the Professional Support
Staff Advisory Council (PSSAC) and introductions were made. There
was a brief explanation on the history of the group being established
previously to maintain effective lines of communication between
division administration and staff. The group has not recently
been active but after discussion, it was decided that quarterly
meetings with the vice president would be mutually beneficial. Membership
terms will be the same as PSSAC membership, which is three years
with rotations taking place in July of each year.
- Lisa Noffsinger, Administrative Assistant to the Vice President,
will take minutes at the meetings and distribute them electronically
to all DAFVM staff.
- Discussion was held concerning the Select Committee on Efficiencies
and Innovations (SCEI) report. There was some concern about
merging various departments, the Colleges of Forest Resources
and Ag and Life Sciences, etc. There are different models/restructures
being considered as far as MSU Extension Service is concerned. Dr.
Bohach indicated that no firm decisions have been made at this
time and both he and President Keenum are neutral at this point. There
are many factors involved such as the retirement option, needs,
and people-friendly solutions.
- Discussion was also held concerning budget cuts for FY12. There
is an overall 23% cut for DAFVM which totals $18M and is an extra
1.5% from what was expected. There was a question
of whether 9½% of that cut might be restored but Dr. Bohach explained
although there is a chance, it could be taken away again.
- There was a question brought up about a possible hiring freeze
after April 20. Dr. Bohach was not aware of a hiring freeze
but discussed the PERS required delay in hiring back retirees
to fill some positions. There is currently a 45 day wait
but if legislature passes it will be a 90 day wait before a retiree
can be rehired.
- Dr. Bohach is optimistic about the priorities/changes in the
- CFR/CALS merger
- MSUES restructure
- MAFES Director search
- Identify research priorities: health, water, energy,
- The next meeting will be scheduled in June. Meeting adjourned.