Minutes

Southern Administrative Heads
Spring Meeting Separate and Joint Sessions Minutes
St. Thomas, VI
April 25 – 28, 2016

Participants: Greg Bohach, Chair; Paul Patterson, Auburn; Shirley Hymon-Parker; Tom Coon, Oklahoma State; Raul Macchiavelli, U. Puerto Rico; Larry Arrington, U. Tennessee; Steve Zeng, Langston University; Ian Maw, APLU; Jack Payne, U. Florida; Jim Richards, Cornerstone; Robert Taylor, FAMU; Louis Rivers, Kentucky State University; and Eddie Gouge, APLU

Monday, April 25

6:00 – 8:00 Joint Welcome Reception


Tuesday, April 26

6:30 – 8:00 Joint Breakfast
8:00 – 10:50 Joint ASRED, SAAESD, S-AHS, S-CARET Session
8:00 – 8:10 J1 Welcome and Introductions – Ed Jones, Chair, ASRED
8:10 – 8:30 J2

UVI Welcome

  • David Hall, President, UVI
  • Frank Mills, Vice Provost for Research and Public Service, UVI
8:30 – 8:50 J3

NIFA Report– Denise Eblen, USDA/NIFA

In meeting discussions:

  • Denise Eblen is new liaison for southern region AES and CES
  • Budget
    • President’s budget asked for increase of $26 million, including full $700 Million for AFRI
  • Farm Bill
    • 2014 bill introduced some new provisions
      • Centers of Excellence initiated last year
      • Commodity Boards – 18 proposals submitted, discussions with each, RFA’s being released will contain language from the Commodity Board’s proposals
      • Foundation for Food and Agriculture Research, hopefully will increase funding from private sources
  • Capacity Programs evaluation
    • Independent evaluation by Teconomy to document value of this investment
    • Results will be used in next Farm Bill development
  • Simplification of grant process
Determining minimum documentation needed initially for a proposal
8:50 – 9:15 J4

Cornerstone Report– Jim Richards, Cornerstone Government Affairs

In meeting discussion:

  • 34 seats up for vote in Senate, majority could change, but depends on presidential candidates
  • 33-35 seats are competitive in house, most Republican, House probably won’t change
  • Senate budget bill is ready for floor action earlier than usual
  • House cannot consider budget until May 15
  • Senate budget has $25 Million increase in AFRI, but not the $325 Million increase in mandatory
Any proposed eliminations will probably be put back in during conference
9:15 – 9:30 J5

Communication and Marketing Committee Report– Ian Maw

In meeting discussions:

  • Messaging testing done last year by kglobal was very helpful
  • Will be engaging on-campus communicators more in future
Will be evaluating impacts efforts
9:30 – 9:50 Joint Break
9:50 – 10:30 J6

APLU/BAA Initiatives Updates(10 min each)

10:30 – 10:50 J7 Southern Region Aquaculture Center Update – Jimmy Avery, Director, USDA-SRAC
10:50 – 11:00 Move to separate sessions
11:00 – 12:00

Separate ASRED, SAAESD, S-AHS, S-CARET Meetings

  • S-AHS and S-CARET will meet jointly
  • ASRED and SAAESD will meet separately
11:00 Convene S-CARET & S-AHS Joint Meeting– Rodd Moesel, S-CARET Vice Chair, Oklahoma; and Greg Bohach, S-AHS Chair, MS State University
11:00 – 11:10 Welcome and introductions – Rodd Moesel and Greg Bohach
11:10 – 11:20 APLU Report – Ian Maw and Eddie Gouge, APLU
11:20 – 11:35 S-AHS Report – Greg Bohach
11:35 – 11:50 CARET Executive Committee Report - Noland Ramsey, North Carolina, Billy Bridgeforth, Alabama, or Buck Vandersteen, Louisiana
11:50 – 12:00 Other Joint Business – Rodd Moesel and Greg Bohach
12:00 – 1:30 Joint Lunch
1:30 – 8:00 Tour and Dinner (Transportation departs at 1:30)


Wednesday, April 27

6:30 – 8:00 Joint Breakfast
8:00 – 10:00

Separate ASRED, SAAESD, S-AHS, S-CARET Meetings

  • S-AHS & S-CARET will meet separately 8:00 – 9:00 & jointly 9:00 – 10:00
8:00 – 9:00 S-CARET Business Meeting (agenda TBD) – Rodd Moesel
8:00 Convene S-AHS Business Meeting – Greg Bohach
8:00 – 8:15 Items from Tuesday’s S-CARET & S-AHS Joint Meeting – Greg Bohach
8:15 – 8:45

Effective Use of Industry Advocates –Larry Arrington and Jim Richards

In-meeting Discussion:

  1. Engaging CARET delegates in recruiting students into agriculture – Greg discussed International Youth Institutes as an idea he is pursuing, but he’s not sure if the CARET delegates have a contribution to make there.
    1. Payne – not sure how to involve a few CARET delegates
    2. Coon – is reaching beyond the mission of CARET – hesitant to ask more of these volunteers system-wide, but at individual institution level, they may have a unique role to play
    3. Patterson – need agribusiness to help promote this – perhaps linking CARET delegates in inviting the business community to engage
    4. Zeng – struggle at Langston in inviting non-urban students into their programs
    5. Payne – possibly need to link with ACOP – Greg will follow up with them
  2. Relationships with CARET and AHS
    1. Payne – really need to attend to turnover, longevity
    2. Bohach – in Southern Region, the group seems very active
    3. Arrington – recalls calls leading up to Starkville meeting, some of the CARET delegates were asking for more direction – is it time to change the model?
    4. Richards – model depends on identifying the true grass tops (people who have a personal relationship with members of Congress); we currently have a mix of grass roots and grass tops; in era of earmarks, the current model worked better, but today need closer relationships between delegates and members of Congress
    5. Patterson – need to be mindful of mixed interests of delegates – e.g. if they’re with another NGO
    6. Arrington – true grass tops won’t participate in the regular meeting design of CARET
    7. Payne – with other NGO, be sure to find ones that have common purpose with LGU, e.g. his CARET delegate who is a Cattleman’s Association member
    8. Coon – perhaps with the current delegates, we need them to build relationships with key members – be become more grass-tops
    9. Richards – use model of UCalifornia in researching UC boosters who have relationships with Members of Congress
    10. Bohach – will visit with key CARET delegates on how to identify and reach more grass tops

      i. Perhaps starting with the states with ag appropriators

  3. Charge to CARET delegates
    1. Identify key grass tops who can help us and build a relationship with them
    2. Commodity group engagement – make sure they are speaking in support of research and Extension – be explicit about identifying themselves as CARET delegates
    3. Better communication from AHS to delegates about institutional efforts and successes and needs and what is going on at the national strategy level.
  4. Ian – one issue is participation by AHS members – not attending meetings so hard to keep continuity.
    1. a. What is to be gained by being involved in AHS? – What do we need from AHS to help us be more successful?
      1. Examples: speaking up for science, deferred maintenance issue, AM Resistance issue, other emerging issues;
      2. Ian – two vehicles for addressing the defense of science issue
        1. Have our president lobby Peter to take on the issue
        2. Have our research VP lobby Peter to take on the issue
      3. Coon – perhaps should be more involved in policy issues such as the dietary guidelines and our role would be to advocate for using science in the policy process – push back against skewed research.
      4. Shirley – ESCOP roadmap helps to identify research needs, but that’s different than defending scientists from harassment.
      5. Bohach – discussion of AHS mission should be extended and brought to join COPS and perhaps to CARET 
8:45 – 9:00

Other CARET-related Items – Greg Bohach

In-meeting Discussion:

  • Election of Secretary – Tom Coon nominated and elected by acclamation. 
9:00 Reconvene S-CARET & S-AHS Joint Meeting – Rodd Moesel and Greg Bohach
9:00 – 9:30

Discussion on Items from Business Meetings – Rodd Moesel and Greg Bohach

In-meeting Discussion:

CARET 

  1. Is the joint meeting with SAAESD and ASRED helpful? – yes, and perhaps get involved even more in the meetings with the Directors; but even the informal time together was helpful; would like to have opportunities to spend time with academic leaders as well
  2. Update on initiatives was welcome at Tuesday’s meeting – a little more depth was appreciated
  3. Encourage AHS to include Puerto Rico in the rotation for meeting locations
  4. S-AHS has hired administrator to assist – welcome news to CARET delegates
  • a. Request for time to have state reports in regional meeting

AHS

  1. Role of AHS – one is to do a better job of communicating with CARET delegates – getting news out about institutions and about national initiatives, legislation, appropriations;
  2. Interest in having CARET help us identify key grass-tops individuals who have relationships with members of congress, especially members in key leadership or appropriations roles  
9:30 – 9:45

Other Topics of Mutual Interest

In-meeting Discussion:

  1. Help AHS engage with these grass tops folks with CARET priorities 
    1. Gary – Mississippi State – CARET delegates have been in leadership roles on national boards, see others – Dena – as part of strategic plan, networking is a key objective for CARET – now ask more detail from delegates to know more about their memberships, relationships, etc., but have not put it to proper use yet – plan to address this at July Strategic Planning meeting; Lou Swanson, chair of AHS is working closely with CARET on this network activation process
    2. Buck – part of this is involved in the AHS decision of whom to invite as CARET delegates – CARET delegates can help in identifying good candidates.
    3. Jim Henley – Fla Cattleman’s – work closely with other commodity groups to maintain relationships with elected officials; need timely, succinct talking points with a timeline for action – he can connect these with these other commodity groups
    4. Rod Moesel – the state level engagement has more clout than national commodity associations; the research and Extension network at the local level could be tapped even more to engage with members of Congress
    5. Jim Henley – visits of staff to members of Congress at field sites, campus tours, etc. are very effective
    6. Richards – story of a particular crop pest need in California vineyards when he was a staffer – when he saw the problem, he was able to get an earmark funded to address it; need to be sure to reinforce that the object of the visit would not exist if not for Hatch, Smith-Lever, AFRI funding.
    7. Gary – CARET – identify groups to bring to campus to tour, educate about issues and solutions being developed.
    8. FAMU – looks forward to help from Jim Henley in identifying grass tops for them as well
    9. Dena – what can AHS do to help – creation of tools for CARET delegates to use – talking points, video clips, etc.; remember your CARET delegates when you get back to the state
    10. Madeleine – one need – how to inform urban residents about agriculture, etc.; need to make it clear that without good urban programs, we won’t have strong ag programs due to the demographics – need help from AHS in how to deal with that. Need sound bite responses –
    11. Kentucky State CARET delegate – American Farmland Trust – no farms, no food – need to help consumers understand that farming is needed for food
    12. FAMU Academic Head – need to call attention to urban agriculture as a part of the way of engaging urban consumer
    13. Virginia State CARET delegate – how many members of Congress benefited from 4-H or FFA? Need to remind them of how it helped them – get them to speak of their experience
    14. Jim Henley – it is very helpful if Extension staff will reach out to educate decision makers without advocating, just let them know what’s going on.
    15. Terri - Alcorn State – looks for opportunities to represent at Congressional Black Caucus, other meetings; some is from her role with goart producers  
9:45 – 10:00

Future S-CARET & S-AHS Meetings – Rodd Moesel and Greg Bohach

In-meeting Discussion:

  • Rotation for hosting S-AHS/CARET:
    • 2017 – NC
    • 2018 – AL
    • 2019 – SC
    • 2020 – TN
    • 2021 – KY
    • 2022 – FL
    • 2023 – AR
    • 2024 – TX
    • 2025 – GA
    • 2026 – LA
    • 2027 – VA
    • 2028 – OK
    • 2029 – MS
    • 2030 - VI  
10:00 – 10:30 Joint Break
10:30 – 12:00 Joint ASRED, SAAESD, S-AHS, S-CARET  Session
10:30 Reconvene Joint Session – John Russin, Chair, SAAESD
10:30 – 11:00

Agriculture in the Virgin Islands

11:00 – 12:00

Best Practices Session – Fostering a Culture of Innovation – Doug Steele, Jackie Burns, and Rodd Moesel

  • Supporting risk-taking, investing in ideas too new for grants, building non-traditional teams and partnerships, etc.
  • Brief presentations by an AES director, CES director, and CARET rep followed by open discussion
Click here for Dr. Burns presentation
12:00 – 1:30 Joint Lunch – ASRED and SAAESD Leadership Awards Presentations  (S-CARET program ends after lunch)
1:30 – 3:00 ASRED, SAAESD, S-AHS Meetings Continue
1:30 Convene S-AHS & SAAESD Joint Meeting – Greg Bohach and John Russin
1:30 – 2:00

ARS Update – Deborah Brennan, ARS

2:00 – 3:00

Best Practices Session – Managing Facilities Deferred Maintenance – 

3:00 – 3:30 Joint Break
3:30 – 5:00 Joint ASRED & SAAESD Meeting; Separate S-AHS Meeting (S-AHS program ends at 5:00)
3:30 Reconvene S-AHS Meeting – Greg Bohach
3:30 – 3:50

Items from the March AHS Executive Committee Meeting – Greg Bohach and Nancy Cox

In-meeting Discussion: 

  • Review of minutes from AHS meeting at Alexandria, VA in March  
3:50 – 4:00

2050 Commission, APLU’s Futuring Initiative – Ian Maw

In-meeting Discussion:

  • Woodson chairing committee
  • Executive group- Glickman, Simon, Keenum, Eche, Dillard, Leschmer, Ackridge, Coon, Hoffman, Mason, Leith, Hinton, Kramer, Lechtenberg, Finn, Borel, others, Canadian rep as well
  • Charge – three pieces
    • §  Identify and prioritize key challenges that public universities can address
    • §  Recommend best alignment of university resources
    • §  Resource requests that will be needed
  • Meets May 10-11 at APLU
  • Work groups – to be assigned
    • §  Production systems needed
    • §  Natural resources – water, soil,
    • §  Food security – post harvest, preservation, transportation
    • §  Nutrition security and health, nutraceuticals, disease prevention
Goal is to be done by end of December for use with new administration 
4:00 – 4:20

Managing the New FLSA Minimum Exemption Salary – All 

In-meeting Discussion: 

  • lack of response to feedback received, still some debate about whether Extension educators are exempt or not 
4:20 – 4:40

Dealing with Permitted Firearms on University Property - All

In-meeting Discussion:

  • Mississippi State – sequence of legislation that started out with prohibition of firearms possession at governing board but legislature has overridden, attorney general has reinforced that governing board cannot override the legislation 
4:40 – 5:00

Other Agenda Items

In-meeting Discussion:

  • How much time to need for next meetings? 2017 – July 28-30 or August 4-6
  • Discussed using the same format as the previous July meetings – Friday evening social time, Saturday morning joint meeting followed by separate AHS and CARET times, Saturday afternoon tours, Sunday morning joint meetings and finish by noon 
5:00 Adjourn