DAFVM Faculty Senate
Bost Extension Building 205
Video links to Delta R&E, Coastal R&E, Central R&E
December 8, 2011
Members attending included Gary Bachman, Linda Breazeale, Wayne Ebelhar, Jeff Gore, Harvey Gordon, Carla Huston filled in for Hart Bailey, Matt Interis, Lelia Kelly, David Lang, Danny Magee, James Martin, Ian Munn, Fred Musser, Amy Schmidt, and Barry Stewart.
Special guest: Dr. Greg Bohach
Absent: Hart Bailey, Ned Browning, Andrew Claude, Cody Coyne, Carol Ellington, Sherrill Fleming, Laurie Grace, Anna Hood, David Ingram, Zhoahua Peng, Ty Schmidt, and Jessica Wells.
- Barry Stewart called the meeting to order.
- Dr. Greg Bohach, vice president for MSU’s Division of Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Medicine, spoke to the senate about a variety of topics and expressed an interest in being more involved with the group.
- Vacant positions – several key vacancies still exist in poultry science, in plant and soil sciences and the Central Research and Extension Center head.
- Filled positions -- Bohach is pleased that George Hopper has filled the CALS dean and MAFES director positions. Additionally, Wes Burger was named recently to the associate director of MAFES position.
- Search plans for associate vice president -- Bohach is planning to refill the associate vice president position and members of the search committee include Walter Taylor (chair), Sam Riffle, Richard Hopper, Lakiesha Williams and Amanda Bell. He plans to involve external stakeholders in the process. There are internal and external applicants with plans to narrow to five names soon.
- Budget issues – Bohach does not anticipate another round of budget cuts.
- Policy changes since September are available on the website at http://www.msstate.edu/dept/audit/Policy Changes.htm.
- Evaluation process – Bohach discussed the annual review process for faculty and department heads. No changes are planned in this year’s form. Plans are under way to change the form for administrators. He distributed the form and explained that on page 3, “category D” was added to the faculty form for administrators.
- Strategic Plan – Bohach requested comments on the new strategic plan for the university. The Strategic Plan has five areas. The plan can be seen on the Provost’s Office website. Barry Stewart asked Senate members to direct co-workers to the plan for opinions.
- Regional coordinators – Barry Stewart told him about considerations for regional coordinators. Bohach said he is open to comments.
- Minutes for the Nov. 10, 2011, meeting were approved on a motion by Harvey Gordon, seconded by Wayne Ebelhar.
- A new website is coming in July to provide minutes from Department Head meetings.
- The CALS and MAFES awards luncheon is scheduled for March 1.
- The CVM necropsy lab renovation will take place soon.
- Paula Threadgill is the interim head of 4-H.
- Unfinished business -- The faculty affairs committee will meet with Extension Director Gary Jackson to discuss regional specialists.
- Holland Faculty Senate voted not to add a new position into the faculty structure. The visiting speaker at the last meeting was IHL executive director Hank Bounds.
- New business
- Barry Stewart requested if the Charter and Bylaws Committee could reconsider the timeline for officer elections. Typically they are held in April when a quarum is difficult to meet.
- Stewart referred the Administrative Evaluation Form to the Academic and Ancillary Affairs Committee for consideration and recommendations.
- On a motion by Harvey Gordon, seconded by Fred Musser, the meeting was adjourned. The next scheduled meeting is Jan. 12, 2012. (That meeting was postponed until Feb. 9, 2012.)
Return to minutes