- Department of Food Science, Nutrition and Health Promotion
Juan is a professor and extensionist in the Department of Food Science, Nutrition and Health Promotion at Mississippi State University. He has a B.S. and M.S. degrees in chemical engineering and a Ph.D. in food science and technology. He is a member and former director of the Board of the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) and was the leader of many divisions. He is now a member of the FSPCA Executive Advisory Board and leader of the international network of instructors. He is a recognized trainer of trainers and expert in food processing and safety, including traditional HACCP systems and newer Preventive Control systems that include supply chain programs, as well as in thermally processed and refrigerated/frozen food systems. An industry consultant for over 35 years, has conducted nearly 300 trainings on all continents of the world.
RELATED BIBLIOGRAPHY AND ACTIVITIES
Mizan, M. F. R., Jahid, I. K., Park, S. Y., Silva, J. L., Kim, T. J., Myoung, J., & Ha, S. D. 2018. Effects of temperature on biofilm formation and quorum sensing of Aeromonas hydrophilla. Italian J Food Sci., 30(3): 456-466
Silva, JL, Su-tze Liu, and Angelica Abdallah-Ruiz. 2018. Alimentos Enlatados: Principios de Control del Proceso Térmico, Acidificación, y Evaluación del Cierre de los Envases, 8 Edición (Canned Foods Manual - Spanish). Translation and update of 7th edition.
Luna-Guevara, J. J., Arenas-Hernandez, M. M. P., Martínez de la Peña, C., Silva, J. L., & Luna-Guevara, M. L. 2019. The Role of Pathogenic E. coli in Fresh Vegetables: Behavior, Contamination Factors, and Preventive Measures. International Journal of Microbiology, 2019. Article ID 2894328, 10 pages, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/2894328
Siberio, L., Kim, T., Schilling, MW, Silva, JL. Incidence of Salmonella spp. in catfish farming environments by improved detection method. Food Control (accepted)
- Silva, JL. 2019. Seafood HACCP systems. Vigo, Spain.
- Thesmar, H, Silva, JL. 2019. FSVP TTT Combo Course. August 27-29, Arlington, VA (13)
- Rushing, J, Silva, J.L., Nieto Montenegro, Sergio. 2019. Programa de Capacitación de Capacitadores Norma sobre la Inocuidad de Productos Agrícolas Frescos. A train the trainer course, July 15-19, 2019, San Jose, CR (68)
- Silva, JL. (Lead ToT), Pacheco, Wilmer. 2019. Food Safety Preventive Controls for Animal Foods PCQI Course (In Spanish), Bogota, Colombia.
- Rushing, J, Silva, J.L., Nieto Montenegro, Sergio. 2020. Programa de Capacitación de Capacitadores Norma sobre la Inocuidad de Productos Agrícolas Frescos. A train the trainer course, Feb. 24-28, Puebla, MX
- PSA produce safety training for growers. Various trainings in the state to train growers and extension personnel on new regulations and how to implement them
ONGOING RELATED RESEARCH
Dr. Schilling conducts research using a farm to fork to economic impact to human health model with other researchers at MSU including: Integrated Poultry Science and Food Science Research, Integrated Entomology and Food Science Research with Meat Science Extension Component, and Integrated Wildlife, Fisheries, and Aquaculture, Animal and Dairy Sciences, Food Science, and Agricultural Economics